Surgical and simple wisdom tooth removal solutions
The wisdom teeth are the very last teeth to erupt through the gums. It usually occurs in the late teen years or early adult years. However, wisdom teeth are notorious for becoming impacted under the gum line and into the jawbone, requiring removal. Dr. Yasi Sabour of Flower Mound, Texas, is pleased to offer wisdom tooth extraction services for patients at The Dental Studio.
What can I expect from my wisdom tooth procedure?
There are two ways wisdom teeth may be removed, including simple and surgical removals. They may be scheduled or emergency teeth extractions, depending on the situation. Each has its own process and recovery times.
- Simple extractions. With simple wisdom tooth extractions, the tooth is removed with forceps. The entire procedure can take 15 minutes to an hour, and you will likely feel pressure as the dentist pulls out the tooth.
- Surgical extractions. This type of wisdom tooth extraction requires minor surgery, often using local or general anesthesia, depending on your particular situation and preferences. This procedure may require cutting gum tissue surrounding the tooth and breaking it into small pieces before finally removing it. Depending on how complicated the extraction is, this can take half an hour to a few hours.
Aftercare instructions following wisdom teeth removal
Once your teeth have been extracted, there are a few steps you should take to ensure proper healing:
- Take prescribed pain relief medications as needed.
- Avoid intense physical activities.
- Eat soft foods while avoiding hot and spicy foods.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Clean your mouth gently with a saltwater rinse but avoid using regular toothpaste or brushing the area for at least 24 hours.
Your recovery time following extraction will depend on the type of procedure you had and any other factors that may affect healing, including age, underlying health conditions, or if you smoke cigarettes. It is critical to follow the aftercare instructions from your dentist closely to ensure proper healing after your wisdom teeth removal procedure. With proper care, you can expect a full recovery anywhere from a couple of days to a few weeks, depending on the type of procedure performed.
What should I do if I believe I need a wisdom tooth extraction?
Your first step is connecting with a dentist who performs dental extractions. Call (214) 393-6835 to book an appointment with Dr. Yasi Sabour of The Dental Studio. She serves patients in and around the community of Flower Mound, TX, at the office located at 2261 Olympia Drive, Suite #300.